The arrival of summer brings with it a plethora of outdoor activities and opportunities to soak up the sun. However, it’s crucial to remember that the scorching temperatures and increased outdoor pursuits can also elevate the risk of injuries. To ensure a safe and enjoyable summer season, let’s explore safe summer activities and some essential tips for avoiding injury during these sun-soaked months.
Spring Creek Medical Center is dedicated to helping you enjoy your Summer. Some activities that you may find rejuvenating this summer include:
- Go for a hike. Hiking is a great way to get exercise, enjoy the outdoors, and clear your head. There are many different hiking trails in the area, so you can find one that’s perfect for your fitness level. For some people, hiking can cause knee pain or create other irritation. Luckily, we offer treatments to help you manage and recover.
- Swim. Swimming is a great way to cool off on a hot day and get some exercise at the same time. There are many public pools in the Cache Valley area, so you can find a place to swim that’s convenient for you.
- Play sports. Playing sports is a great way to stay active and have fun. There are many different sports leagues and clubs in the area, so you can find a team that’s a good fit for you. Over-exerting yourself during sports can cause headaches or migraines. Drinking water during exercise can help you avoid these symptoms, but if they do persist, it may be necessary to contact a doctor.
- Go to the park. Parks are a great place to relax, have a picnic, or play games. There are many different parks in the area, so you can find one that’s close to home.
- Have a bonfire. Bonfires are a great way to socialize, roast marshmallows, and enjoy the outdoors. Be sure to follow all local fire ordinances and regulations.
- Go camping. Camping is a great way to get away from it all and enjoy the peace of nature. There are many campgrounds in the area, so you can find one that’s perfect for your needs.
- Go fishing. Fishing is a great way to relax and enjoy the outdoors. There are many different fishing spots in the area, so you can find one that’s perfect for your skill level.
- Go boating. Boating is a great way to explore the area and see some of the beautiful scenery.
- Go hiking and biking. Hiking and biking are great ways to get exercise and enjoy the outdoors. Many different trails in the area are perfect for hiking and biking.
- Go to a concert or festival. There are several different concerts and festivals held in the area throughout the summer. This is a great way to see some live music and have some fun.
While basking in the sun can be delightful, exposing yourself to harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays without protection can lead to painful sunburns and long-term skin damage. Prioritize sun protection by applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF rating before stepping out. Don’t forget to reapply every couple of hours, especially if you’re swimming or sweating profusely.
Wear protective clothing, such as wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses, to shield your face and eyes from direct sunlight. Additionally, seek shade during the peak hours (between 10 am and 4 pm) when the sun’s rays are most intense. While summer is an excellent time for outdoor activities and sports, it’s essential to recognize your physical limitations. Heat-related illnesses, such as heat exhaustion and heatstroke, can occur if you overexert yourself in high temperatures. Be sure to take breaks from strenuous activity and listen to your body. If you start to feel pain, stop and rest.
Before engaging in any physical activity, take the time to warm up your muscles with light exercises. Dynamic stretches can help increase blood flow and prepare your body for more intense movements. Follow up with static stretches to improve flexibility and reduce the risk of muscle strains and injuries.
If you do get injured, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention. Our team at Spring Creek Medical Center is here to help you get back to your summer fun as quickly as possible.
How Physical Therapy Can Help You Stay Healthy
Our physical therapists are experts in helping people of all ages and abilities reach their goals. We offer a variety of services, including:
- Exercise prescription
- Manual therapy
- Modalities, such as heat and ice.
- Education and counseling
How Massage Therapy Can Help You Stay Healthy
Massage therapy is a great way to relax, relieve stress, and improve your overall health. Our massage therapists are trained to use a variety of techniques to help you achieve your desired results. We offer a variety of massage services, including:
To learn more about Spring Creek Medical Center or to schedule an appointment, please contact us at (435) 792-9400. We look forward to helping you stay healthy and have fun this summer.